Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Healthy Snacks (Spinach Smoothie ?!?!)

From Mummy Deals Blog:
 
I love to eat spinach...drinking it. Ok, I'll try it.
 
Posted: 18 Jul 2011 03:48 PM PDT
It's hard coming up with great snacks for kids especially ones that are nutritious engouh for you to feel good about, yummy enough for them to eat and frugal enough to save your wallet!  Here are some of my favorites to help you get started.

Spinach Smoothies

Hear me out before ya judge!! I love smoothies and right now I feel sadly iron-depleted and exhausted. I do love fruit so I love to whip up a smoothie. 

One great tip is to watch your fruit. When it looks like its starting to go bad and you know you can't eat it right away, quick stick it in a container and place it in the freezer. The next time you need a smoothie you have fruit ready to go!

The other thing I love is to make a spinach smoothie! Before you all gag, here's how:
  • Blend up some fruit.
  • Add a couple of tablespoons of plain yogurt.
  • Finally add a handful of fresh spinach and blend well.
Sure it'll look green but I promise you won't taste it!!!!!!

Homemade Granola

Store-bought granola is expensive and full of who-knows-what.  While living in Thailand I couldn't find it anywhere and so I developed an easy recipe using plain old oats.


Ingredients
3 cups of oats
Enough honey to make it stir well
Other ingredients like coconut, flax seed, wheatgerm, raisins, nuts

Directions
Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and heat oven to 300.
Mix all together and then spread thin on the pan.
Cook for arounjd 15 minutes or until it almost smells burnt! It sounds crazy but then I turn it over on the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes and it's good.
I pour mine back into the oat container and in the morning serve with yogurt and fresh fruit.

100 Calorie Snacks

Marketed to help people lose weight these things are really just a whole lotta air without substance! Don't get me wrong, we all love convenience so why not grab some ziploc bags, a huge bag of chips/your favorite snacks and portion them out. Read the back and see how many make a portion and then add that amount to the bag. Trust me, you'll save mega moolah!

Here are some 100 calorie ingredients:

1 small orange
15 mini carrots
3 TBS raisins
6 reduced fat Triscuits
1 cup celery
1 cup watermelon
13 animal crackers
3/4 oz cheddar cheese
2 Twizzlers
7/8 cup cheerios
2/3 cup mini marshmallows
1 cheese stick and 5 slices ham

No comments:

Post a Comment